Lots of people struggle with procrastination. Myself included. It can make you feel like trash because you know what you should do but frequently can't get yourself to do it.
The secret to winning the battle with procrastination is to realize that procrastination is a symptom caused by potentially many different problems. You need to understand the root cause to have much luck solving the problem and ending your procrastination.
The following questions and statement will help pinpoint what's happening when you feel like procrastinating, and I'll be adding links to strategies to overcome each issue. Some items will seem similar and the solutions may overlap. Just pick what feels
I'm unsure of what I have to do
- What does "done" look like?
- What should I work on first?
- I can't find what I need to get started.
I'm feeling overwhelmed
- Braindump everything I'm working on.
- I don't have time for my important projects.
- I'm too tired to focus.
- There's so much riding on this. I'm frozen.
I don't want to do the work
- Is this the most valuable use of my time?
- Can someone else do this work?
- Re-evaluating my life choices.
- Who benefits from this work?
Published on June 28, 2023